Happy New Year and an Announcement from Jen Y Insights!
This year one of my resolutions is to start each day with the question: 'how can my actions be of greater service to the wider community and myself?' It came to me at 4am a few mornings ago (thanks to a good ol' bolt of inspiration waking me up!) that one of the things a lot of people ask me about is resources, advice, teaching and mentorship on the subjects of:
- how to be more mindful/create more 'space' in everyday life/be more present and focussed,
- managing work/life balance,
- creating a meaningful career (and how to figure out what one wants to do),
- transitioning from one area of study into a different area of work (as I transitioned from studying law and art history into working in leadership development and learning and development),
- how to manage during times of transition, challenge and stress (because I've been there and done that many a time),
- how to cope with the transition between the 'cocooned' university environment into the unstructured world of work,
- how best to learn,
- how to grow and work from a brain-based perspective,
- what different opportunities there are 'out there' for learning and developing as an individual and a leader,
- how to market oneself online and in person when going into the workforce and when finding a new job,
- how to write great communications, cover letters and CVs,
- how to have greater empathy, compassion and conversations with oneself and others,
- and much, more more!
Without intending it, for many friends and colleagues I've become (as well as a friend) their unofficial counsellor, coach, mediator, advisor and mindfulness teacher. And, I love it!!
For me, I've been incredibly privileged to be mentored by some of the best in the leadership development and mindfulness businesses. I've also had numerous other people believe in me - granting me scholarships and sponsorships to attend numerous incredible leadership development and personal development programmes. For all of these experiences and for the challenging experiences, I am so grateful. Out of all of this, Jen Y Insights was born with a real desire to help those who have not had the same access as me to education, mentors, coaches and opportunities. You could call it 'open sourcing leadership development'!
Over the last few years I've learned that one of the best ways to grow is by doing an activity consistently for an extended period of time (e.g. 40 or more days), measuring progress and keeping oneself accountable by checking in with an accountability buddy. They do say that repetition is the mastery of skill (it also helps if you have a person that reminds you of your commitment - thanks mum for helping me with years of flute and piano practice!!) Last year I went massively outside of my comfort zone by doing a 40 day challenge where I reported my experiences, insights and reflections to my ENTIRE Facebook network and started a blog at the same time. So, I'm going to do another one!
Watch this Space for the Next 40 Days!
To this end, from tomorrow (Friday 19th January), for 40 days I will be sharing something each day that has either (1) changed my way of thinking or perspective, (2) helped me get through a challenging period of transition, change or growth, or (3) changed my life for the better. I'm tentatively calling it '40 Days of Growth' (which may change in the next 24 hours). I'd love it if you followed along with me on this journey - contributing what has also helped you to learn, grow and change. And, if I can support you on your own learning journey, please do let me know :)
For the next 40 days I will be sharing something each day that has either (1) changed my way of thinking or perspective, (2) helped me get through a challenging period of transition, change or growth, or (3) changed my life for the better.
So, watch this space or follow along on my social media channels (Instagram and Facebook). I'd LOVE for you to contribute to and/or follow along with this little project! Let's be social! :)