Pocket, Visual and Audio Mentors: Day 7 of 40 DAYS OF GROWTH
From Friday 19th January, everyday for 40 days, I will be sharing something each day that has either (1) changed my way of thinking or perspective, (2) helped me get through a challenging period of transition, change or growth, or (3) changed my life for the better. I've called it '40 Days of Growth'. I'd love it if you followed along with me on this journey - contributing what has also helped you to learn, grow and change. And, if I can support you on your own learning journey, please do let me know :)
Please note that these next few posts will be shorter as I am preparing these posts before heading away to help run the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards programme from Tuesday until Sunday.
Day 7 of 40 DAYS OF GROWTH
Pocket, Visual and Audio Mentors
We live in an incredibly privileged time where a lot of people are not only literate but educated. We're also lucky that the previous generations of humans have preserved the wisdom from ages past - think the likes of philosophers from Classical times such as Aristotle, Plato and Seneca and, further down the track, writers and business people who started noting down their insights and key strategies for how they got to where they were.
Books, videos and audio books are like your very own pocket mentors! I think it's amazing that a lifetime of knowledge, wisdom and insights can be contained within the pages of a 150+ page book that costs the same as a few coffees (and sometimes less, thanks to Amazon Kindles sales... totally guilty of taking advantage of these!)
Some 'Pocket Mentor' recommendations that I've recommended to participants of leadership development programmes and mentees:
- Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss. Ferriss has written books like 'The Four Hour Work Week', 'The Four Hour Chef' etc but this is the book of his that I've invested in buying and reading on-and-off. Why on-and-off? Because (1) it's a MASSIVE book, (2) it contains so much goodness in it!! Ferriss started an award-winning podcast a few years ago where he interviews subject matter experts, people at the top of their field etc. This book contains the majority of the key things that these podcast guests have recommended. It contains amazingly valuable wisdom!
- The Art of Deliberate Success by Dr. David Keane. Keane spent 3 years solidly reading all of the key management theory and success books and compiled the key takeaways into an incredibly useful and comprehensive framework. Worth reading the parts that are most relevant to you at the point of time that you read it. It's one book I'll be keeping by my bedside table for many years!
- The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter and How to Make the Most of Them by Meg Jay. If you don't have time to read the book, watching her TED talk is also worthwhile. While reading this book I had so many 'that's just like me!' and 'Ohhhh, she's so right' moments.
- Read a book by Brene Brown (e.g. 'The Gifts of Imperfection'). This book was... powerful and enlightening. Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston and has spent the past 16 years studying courage, vulnerability, shame and empathy. Her TED talk 'The Power of Vulnerability' is the #1 most watched TED talk. Her ideas are powerful and can be life changing 😃
- I have a LOT more recommendations, but these are good starting points!
Questions for you
What other books, podcasts and/or videos have been invaluable for you when you've needed advice? Are there subjects that you are interested in but would like recommendations about? Let me know in the comments below, and I'll do my best to help :)